• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal Contracts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lisamcalln

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

Ok, here it goes...I am a florist. Had a bride come into my shop back in July, I know her personally. Wants me to do her wedding. Spent appoximately 4 meetings with her, mom and mother-in-law. Even cancelled a trip, due to short notice of them wanting to meet with me.

Designed centerpieces for their wedding...bride and groom love the designs. Mom and mother-in-law want much more. This all hit the fan yesterday afternoon. I told them, I can do whatever they want...they want prices right away, I said I have to see the vase and they also changed some other things about the wedding. I told them I could have the prices for them on Friday.

Now, since, I know the bride and have for years, didn't have them sign a contract. I know, stupid on my part! About a month ago, I requested 50% down for the wedding and the other 50% to be paid for a week before the wedding. Bride's dad, comes in pays the 50%.

Now, this morning, the bride and her dad show up at the shop, saying mom and mother-in-law, have lost faith in me, and want their money back. My question, isn't this a verbal agreement? Do I have to give them back their money, after I have spent so much time, dealing with them and possibly have lost other jobs due to the fact that they have me on retainer for the wedding?

One lesson in life, here, Always get contracts signed, no matter who they are!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

justalayman

do you have a contract? I don't know from what you posted. Was there ever an agreement to supply something or did you just talk about it a lot?

I saw nothing that stated there ever was an order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">