• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal/email agreement - binding????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mactoo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Hi,

I apologize if this is lengthy but I feel it necessary to give all the details. All contact was done via email.

I have been looking into buying livestock from quite a few different breeders - I found a person with 3 animals I wanted & asked if they would take less. They said yes & sent me the contract - the contract has NOT been signed & returned, nor has the required deposit been given.

As a courtesy to other breeders I spoke with - I thanked them for their time & reluctantly said I'd found my desired herd elsewhere. One farm in particular has made a counter offer that I would be insane to refuse.

My question is - am I legally obligated to the first breeder?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Mass_Shyster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Hi,

I apologize if this is lengthy but I feel it necessary to give all the details. All contact was done via email.

I have been looking into buying livestock from quite a few different breeders - I found a person with 3 animals I wanted & asked if they would take less. They said yes & sent me the contract - the contract has NOT been signed & returned, nor has the required deposit been given.

As a courtesy to other breeders I spoke with - I thanked them for their time & reluctantly said I'd found my desired herd elsewhere. One farm in particular has made a counter offer that I would be insane to refuse.

My question is - am I legally obligated to the first breeder?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
From what you wrote, it sounds like you simply made an inquiry, and never formed a contract, however my opinion is not what matters.

If the sellers think you formed a contract, they can sue for damages (lost profits). It will be up to a court to determine if you actually formed a contract.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">