• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal Threat (bodily harm)...Is it Illegal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

room335

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I was verbally threatened (twice) on one of my contracted jobs recently. The person who made the threat said to me "I am going to take you out to the F-ing (using full word) parking lot and kick the Sh_t out of you". He made this threat twice...Immediately after his threat, he and his wife asked me to pack up and leave and not to finish my work. (His wife is the one who signed the contract engaging my services).

Is it illegal for someone to make such threats (I was told yesterday by a friend that it was illegal). Also, should I do anything to register this threat just to put in on the record. I'm not sure what my best course of action is. I still have to deal with these people regarding the work I was contracted to do and the money they owe me....and of course deal with their breach of contract...Thanks..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">