• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Violating Payment Terms?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mafunk

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I'm a small publisher and sell my books to Baker & Taylor, a large distributor. Their payment terms are very poor - they pay witihn 90 days. I have been doing business with them for two years now and they NEVER pay on time. I always have to badger them to get paid to the point of demanding my product back if they don't finally pay. They are always one to three months late in paying. That means they pay 120 to 180 days, which is a clear violation of their payment terms. and they NEVER pay late fees.

The problem is they are a monopoly and if you want to be in the libraries and bookstores you pretty much have to do business with them. I think they are taking serious advantage of people.

I'm wondering if anyone has every filed a class action suit against them because they do this? Or how would one go about securing an attorney to do so (on spec). It is probably not possible, but i wanted to ask because I'm so fed up with them. I'm not very litigious and normally don't go around wanting to sue folks, but it seems to me that they are clearly abusing their power and taking advantage of 1000s of small publishers. I sure would like it if someone did something about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">