• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Web business

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

extreemsilver14

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? West Virginia

I have a question about a new business that I am thinking about...

I have this iPhone app that I really love to use. I want to pay someone to code it and turn it into a desktop or web application and offer it for free, while getting profits from ad revenue. How much do I have to differentiate my product so that I couldn't get sued, if at all?

JETX

How much do I have to differentiate my product so that I couldn't get sued, if at all?
You have to change the way it 'looks and feels', what it does and how it does it. in other words, you can't take someone else's product and sell it on your own.

extreemsilver14

You have to change the way it 'looks and feels', what it does and how it does it. in other words, you can't take someone else's product and sell it on your own.
It would be a computer application, so obviously the user inputs would be different, as it would be adopted to keyboard and mouse. As long as I changed the colors, and maybe the shape of the nodes, that should pretty much cover it, right? I mean, there are a lot of mind mapping web apps out there, and they all just look a little different. I would also be adding some functionality.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">