• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wedding Photography Cancelleation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

medstudent1983

I booked a wedding photographer for a wedding on Sept 6, 2009 in New Jersey. We signed a contract in November and put down a $200 deposit to save the date. In early June, a family friend offered to do our photography for free, we are deciding to cancel with our initial with our initial Photographer.

They are now stating that we are required to pay in full the entire amount due, not just lose our deposit. Our contract was for about $1000 so we would owe them around $800. This strikes me as extremely unfair!! Several people told me that they wouldn't have much to stand on, or that it wouldn't be worth it for them to take us to small claims court. They are now threatening to get their lawyers involved.

In the contract it states, "Cancellation policy: Once a deposit is accepted and the date has been
agreed upon, the client is responsible for the full amount of the SOW.
No monies will be refunded once they are received".

I'm okay with losing our deposit, but this seems just ridiculous! Should I pay them in full?

las365

"Cancellation policy: Once a deposit is accepted and the date has been agreed upon, the client is responsible for the full amount of the SOW.
No monies will be refunded once they are received".
Assuming that "SOW" is an abbreviation for the name of the contract, you owe the money, because you agreed to pay it even if you canceled.

The odds that he will get another wedding job on that same date is pretty slim now, as most people book wedding services six or more months in advance, like you did. You are the one canceling. You owe the money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">