• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Where Can I Get an Affordable Cease & Desist?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? - OHIO

Hello all. If you remember me, you know I've been dealing with a contract dispute with my former client. They are out of state and were paying me for production services, which they'd signed on for two years (we've had the same contract bi-yearly for almost the last decade). After the last contract, they stop paying me about six months in and basically told me to screw off and to just take them to court if I wanted. Unfortunately, after checking with a lawyer, it appears that by the time I get a judgment and then have to hire someone out of state to cover the collection costs out of pocket, the whole thing just won't be worth my time (I made a rookie mistake and didn't put in the contract they are liable for court costs, so I screwed myself on that front).

I recently found out they are still using all my stuff without my permission, which I still own the license for. I now need to send them a cease and desist letter backed by some time of legal institution or law firm telling them they are to stop using it immediately, that I still own the rights and if they want me to release the rights to them they have to contact me for settlement. That's it, nothing beyond that, as I can't afford to hire a firm to pursue the debt further.

Where can I find a simple cut and dry solution to this that is professional, 100% legal and not going to break the bank. It's really my last chance at getting any restoration to a very bad situation for my business. Are their any online sites that provide a cease and desist affordably or some other agencies? I've already contacted the legal aid society near me and the bar association, but they weren't exactly helpful.

Thanks!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Please keep in mind that a cease and desist letter carries no legal weight what-so-ever, particularly when you have no resources (ie: money for a lawsuit) with which to back it up.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? - OHIO

Hello all. If you remember me, you know I've been dealing with a contract dispute with my former client. They are out of state and were paying me for production services, which they'd signed on for two years (we've had the same contract bi-yearly for almost the last decade). After the last contract, they stop paying me about six months in and basically told me to screw off and to just take them to court if I wanted. Unfortunately, after checking with a lawyer, it appears that by the time I get a judgment and then have to hire someone out of state to cover the collection costs out of pocket, the whole thing just won't be worth my time (I made a rookie mistake and didn't put in the contract they are liable for court costs, so I screwed myself on that front).

I recently found out they are still using all my stuff without my permission, which I still own the license for. I now need to send them a cease and desist letter backed by some time of legal institution or law firm telling them they are to stop using it immediately, that I still own the rights and if they want me to release the rights to them they have to contact me for settlement. That's it, nothing beyond that, as I can't afford to hire a firm to pursue the debt further.

Where can I find a simple cut and dry solution to this that is professional, 100% legal and not going to break the bank. It's really my last chance at getting any restoration to a very bad situation for my business. Are their any online sites that provide a cease and desist affordably or some other agencies? I've already contacted the legal aid society near me and the bar association, but they weren't exactly helpful.

Thanks!
You can find many attorneys willing to draft and send a cease and desist letter for you. You just need to call around and ask. But, as Zigner said, the recipient can ignore a C&D. They mean nothing legally - they just warn of legal action that might be taken in the future if the cease and desist demands are not met.

You can also send your own cease and desist letter, but this stands to be even less effective than one coming from a lawyer. At least if it comes from a lawyer, the recipient is aware that you have consulted with an attorney. This makes the threat of future legal action seem more likely.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">