• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Working Conditions" NDA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hcrowe21

My company (in California) is sending out revised company handbooks and attached confirmation of receipt form. On that form is a check-box for NDA purposes. It mentions several items which appear standard, but the first is non-disclosure of "working conditions." I work in an office building, and while I understand NDA for policies and procedures, the working conditions one raises a red flag in my mind.

Is this normal, or should it be a red flag to me?

Last edited:

tranquility

Your state really matters on NDA questions.

But, employers try to write them broadly and employees like them more narrow. I am uncertain what "red flag" there could be? It's not like you can't report them to the government if they are violating some law.

hcrowe21

State is California (edited original post, but not until after the reply).

I suppose I'm just wondering if it's standard to include working conditions. My employer doesn't necessarily break the law, but they skirt it on a regular basis with certain issues. It makes me uncomfortable that they treat employees poorly, but put in an NDA for working conditions, as though they're trying to hide something. Just wanted to know if that was pretty standard fare in companies, or if this is something not many places do, as working conditions are generally fairly public knowledge.

W

Willlyjo

Your state really matters on NDA questions.

But, employers try to write them broadly and employees like them more narrow. I am uncertain what "red flag" there could be? It's not like you can't report them to the government if they are violating some law.
I agree with your post, Tranquility--good job! :)

quincy

hcrowe21, a lot of companies are now including as conditions of employment a requirement that nothing about the workplace can be discussed outside of the workplace. These "non-disparagement" clauses, depending on how they are worded, are probably unenforceable.

The contract provision is designed to stop employees from publishing information about the employer, the workplace and other employees on social media sites. It has been challenged successfully in some states.

An administrative law judge for the National Labor Relations Board issued a decision on these nondisparagement clauses in January of this year. It is worth reviewing. You can access Quicken Loans, Inc, No. 28-CA-75857, at http://www.nlrb.gov (click on "cases and decisions" and then "administrative law judge decisions").

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">