• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

adding name to mortgage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kabmitchell

What is the name of your state?
Georgia
When I married my husband, my credit was good and his was bad (self-employed and legal expenses due to ex-wife). So, we made purchases in my name. It took 5 years or so to straighten out financial problems but we did. However, by then, my credit was bad because we were both dealing with ups and downs of self-employment and legal debts and everything was in my name. Because of that situation, when we refinanced, it turned out it would be cheaper to put the mortgage in his name so we did. He makes a good steady income now and we won legal battles and we've paid bills on time for a year. THe problem is, I'm not rebuilding my credit because everything is in his name. Can he now have me added to the mortgage as a co-borrower? If not, can he just sign a quit claim and sign the house over to me?
Thanks,
k

HomeGuru

kabmitchell said:
What is the name of your state?
Georgia
When I married my husband, my credit was good and his was bad (self-employed and legal expenses due to ex-wife). So, we made purchases in my name. It took 5 years or so to straighten out financial problems but we did. However, by then, my credit was bad because we were both dealing with ups and downs of self-employment and legal debts and everything was in my name. Because of that situation, when we refinanced, it turned out it would be cheaper to put the mortgage in his name so we did. He makes a good steady income now and we won legal battles and we've paid bills on time for a year. THe problem is, I'm not rebuilding my credit because everything is in his name. Can he now have me added to the mortgage as a co-borrower? If not, can he just sign a quit claim and sign the house over to me?
Thanks,
k
**A: you need to talk to a real estate attorney.

S

seniorjudge

And when you are talking to that real estate attorney, bring up the following items:

Q: Can he now have me added to the mortgage as a co-borrower?

A: You will have to refinance to get you on the mortgage.

Q: If not, can he just sign a quit claim and sign the house over to me?

A: This has nothing to do with a mortgage; if you want the title to the land in different names that it is in now, then you need to do that when you refinance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">