• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adding someone to mortgage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lwhead

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Georgia

My partner and I just purchased a home, however, the mortgage is in my name due to his having some credit issues (some collection accounts (approx. $800 owed total, and one judgement for approx. $1,500.) Washington Mutual currently has the mortgage. When I contacted them regading having my partner put on the mortgage (being liable for the loan with me) they said it would not be a problem, they would send me the papers to do this. They told me that a credit check would not be done on him, they just needed his info (S.S#) and told me that the mortgage would then be reported on his credit also. If we were to do this, with his having the issues on his credit, could the collectors place a lien on the house. And if so, what would this mean. We are in the process of saving the money to pay off his credit isssues, it just will take some time - the new house left us cash poor for the moment.

Thanks

Larry

lwhead

We just got the papers to file give up both joint tenantcy with rights of survivorship. Haven't made it to courthouse to file them yet.

lwhead

Just read what I just posted. What I meant to say was that we had a new deed drawn up to give us joint tenantcy and rights of survivorship. We haven't filed them at the courthouse yet.

Larry

BelizeBreeze

Then yes, his creditors, IF they win a judgement against him, can come after his portion of ownership in the home through a lien.

HomeGuru

lwhead said:
Just read what I just posted. What I meant to say was that we had a new deed drawn up to give us joint tenantcy and rights of survivorship. We haven't filed them at the courthouse yet.

Larry

**A: who is currently named on the deed?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">