• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being sued for water damage 11 months after closing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kareit

What is the name of your state?

New Jersey

Can I be sued 11 months after closing for water in a basement if the buyers had a home inspection that showed previous water damage?

I am being sued as well as the Home Inspection Company. The buyer chose and paid for the Home Inspector. They were also present during the inspection.

Last edited:

S

seniorjudge

Did you know about the water damage at the time of the closing?

Did you make a written disclosure?

Your facts are a tad vague.

Just how did this water damage occur and how?

kareit

seniorjudge said:
Did you know about the water damage at the time of the closing?

Did you make a written disclosure?

Your facts are a tad vague.

Just how did this water damage occur and how?
In 35 years, we had water twice, once 8 years ago when it snowed 26 inches, then melted and rained for a week. The second time was a couple years later for the same thing. I told the real estate person that but he said that is not a constant problem. I thought the same thing.

I disclosed about the air conditioning having a small leak when we drew up the contract. They wouldn't have discovered that until the Summer as they made settlement in January. It runs when you turn it on so it wouldn't have shown up on the home inspection.

The night before settlement, the laundry room tub backed up. I told them that at settlement and I sent a check to them a week later to pay for the plumber when I found out they had to get a plumber to get it fixed.

The home inspection report showed previous signs of water in the crawlspace and one room downstairs. They said to fill in the crack in the foundation and it would be solved. The buyers said okay, they would do it and didn't want me to do anything.

The house had no one living in it for a while and my brother and I would go over and check it but we didn't feel the rugs for water. Now all of a sudden, the buyers are having a problem on a regular basis. They have had the house for 11 months and just got it waterproofed.

They said the home inspection company should have pursued the water marks they saw further and were mislead because they said caulking the crack would be the solution.

Shouldn't they be held responsible? They had this home inspection done in Oct. 2003. Why bring this up now?

Thank you.

Kim

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">