• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Buying a home that has tenants

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ang2877

What is the name of your state? New Jersey
We are in the process of trying to buy a home we found. It is a two family house and the first floor has tenants, When the contact went into attorney reveiw i wanted to add in the contact the the premises be empty on the closing date. Is this going to be a problem. Becouse my attorney told me that the there attorney said to him that they currently have a month to month lease and that we might not be able to make them leave. When we went to see the house we asked them if they were moving and they said that they were, but i don't want to take any chances on it. becauce my inlaw is going to be living on the first floor and we are going to be on the second floor, It would have been fine if we were just looking to buy a two family f or profit, but it is going to be for my Mother inlaw who is in here 70's to live there so we can help her. So is it legally ok to have that in the contract for the premises to be vacant on closing day. And if so what does the current owner have to do to make sure that the home in empty on the day of closing. Thanks for any help :confused:

PghREA

You have to follow the landlord/tenant laws for your state. You will need to give the 1st floor tenants notice in writing to move following whatever the landlord/tenant laws are in your state. You can't give them notice until you actually own the home.

The current landlord could but, if I were his Realtor, I would not recommend that he do this unless we were absolutely sure the closing would happen.

BelizeBreeze

PghREA said:
You have to follow the landlord/tenant laws for your state. You will need to give the 1st floor tenants notice in writing to move following whatever the landlord/tenant laws are in your state. You can't give them notice until you actually own the home.

The current landlord could but, if I were his Realtor, I would not recommend that he do this unless we were absolutely sure the closing would happen.
PGH, did you not read the post?

This is a duplicate post and if you read the FIRST one you'd notice this issue is moot. They are not going to be buying the home under the current contract.

PghREA

BelizeBreeze said:
PGH, did you not read the post?

This is a duplicate post and if you read the FIRST one you'd notice this issue is moot. They are not going to be buying the home under the current contract.
Yes I did read the first post where they wanted the contract to be contingent upon the sale of the MIL's house which they can't do because she is not a "buyer".

I thought maybe they just decided to buy the house themselves and this was another question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">