• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

buying a home that is tenant occupied; tenants are being difficult

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

baileybear824

What is the name of your state? California

:confused: Hi, we are in the process of buying a house that is occupied by tenants. Escrow closes for us in a couple of days and the tenants are still in the house! The tenants are not letting our appraiser inside the house, or anybody inside to do the repairs that are specified in the agreement. In the offer agreement as well as initial paper work, it states that the sellers are supposed to evict the tenants. They gave the tenants a 30 day eviction notice on Apr. 15. I would like to know what steps to take if the tenants are not off the property as of May 15? What are the tenants rights in this matter? Our mortgage starts as soon as escrow closes, its my understanding that the tenants can stay there up to 6 months rent free, and we're stuck with the mortgage payment, as well as our own current living expenses. Is that true? Also, when we walked through the house, the tenants made statements to us that indicated that they started looking for a place as soon as the for sale sign went up in the front yard. Will that help if we have to go to court? Also, who do we name in the suit if it does come down to having to go to court? The sellers or the tenants? Any answers will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

niknak44

Same boat

I'm pretty much in the same boat as the other poster. What rights do I have as the new owner once escrow closes?

Should I cancel or get out of the purchase?

HomeGuru

baileybear824 said:
What is the name of your state? California

:confused: Hi, we are in the process of buying a house that is occupied by tenants. Escrow closes for us in a couple of days and the tenants are still in the house! The tenants are not letting our appraiser inside the house, or anybody inside to do the repairs that are specified in the agreement. In the offer agreement as well as initial paper work, it states that the sellers are supposed to evict the tenants. They gave the tenants a 30 day eviction notice on Apr. 15. I would like to know what steps to take if the tenants are not off the property as of May 15? What are the tenants rights in this matter? Our mortgage starts as soon as escrow closes, its my understanding that the tenants can stay there up to 6 months rent free, and we're stuck with the mortgage payment, as well as our own current living expenses. Is that true? Also, when we walked through the house, the tenants made statements to us that indicated that they started looking for a place as soon as the for sale sign went up in the front yard. Will that help if we have to go to court? Also, who do we name in the suit if it does come down to having to go to court? The sellers or the tenants? Any answers will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.[/QUOTE

**A: before we respond, please provide a current status update.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">