• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Buying a Home with tenants

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wynnie4ever

What is the name of your state? NY- I just purchased a house and it has two tenants- one w/ a 1yr. Lease and the other without- How do I get them out of my house do I really have to honor the one year lease? She pays her rent on-time and has a gov't subsidy. I dont want to buy her out can I just give her 30-60 day notice to vacate? (the one with the lease)

How do I get the one without a lease out?

FarmerJ

This subject has been brought up many times by both new LLs and tenants who dont take time to review leases , Your state govt web page will tell you in its landlord and tenant links how to give a proper notice to month to month tenants and the other tenant ,I guess you will have to get a copy of the lease and READ it after the fact. ( this is something you should have insisted on) long before even putting up earnest money. Welcome to the new LL club. Do take the time to learn what your states landlord & tenant laws are or its gonna bite you in the butt.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state? NY- I just purchased a house and it has two tenants- one w/ a 1yr. Lease and the other without- How do I get them out of my house do I really have to honor the one year lease? She pays her rent on-time and has a gov't subsidy. I dont want to buy her out can I just give her 30-60 day notice to vacate? (the one with the lease)

How do I get the one without a lease out?
**A: read your NY L/T laws. Then after that come back and ask your questions.

wynnie4ever

I have read the State Laws and it really only states that I can evict (on with a lease) if she is a non paying tenant or a month-to-month tenant

FlyingRon

That is your answer. Given the month-to-month tenant notice of the termination and they should leave (if not evict them). Inform the one with the longer lease that you will not be renewing it.

Non-foreclosure sales don't affect leases.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">