• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Buying a home while separated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EagleAngel

What is the name of your state? NC

What liabilities exist when a person who's been separated for two years enters into a contract to purchase a home? Does anything change once a divorce filing is made? Can the person make the offer, file for divorce, then close on the home? Or should the divorce filing be made before the offer? TIA

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state? NC

What liabilities exist when a person who's been separated for two years enters into a contract to purchase a home?

**A: many

Does anything change once a divorce filing is made?

**A: yes and no.

Can the person make the offer, file for divorce, then close on the home?

**A: yes.

Or should the divorce filing be made before the offer? TIA

**A: yes and yes to seek advice from your divorce attorney.

EagleAngel

Thanks for you reply. I'm not the one in this situation, but I have been asking the person who is to talk to an attorney. I'm just curious of what will happen if she does things in the wrong order because I wouldn't want her to hurt herself now that she's finally starting to get her life back in order.

I'll pass that on to her and still welcome advice from others.

EagleAngel

Yes, I posted here first, waited a while, then posted under family law and indicated that I'd already posted elsewhere since this situation can be relevant to both categories. Is that a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">