• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Buying a house with an IRS lien

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

snowyegret

I live in Washington State

I found a for sale by owner piece of property. I contacted the owner and ask if they would be willing to do a contract for deed with me. I offered 25K for the land, 2500 down, at 5% for 5 years. I met the lady at a local restaurant and she had the contracts already with her which was the first sign to me that something wasn't right. We don't know each other from eve. She agreed to my terms but at the end of the payment period, she wanted to "gift" me the land so she didn't have to pay taxes and so the income didn't affect her social security disability. She also wanted me tmake my payment checks out to her boyfriend so SSD wouldn't find out about it. Second, third and fourth light bulbs going off in my head. She claimed she had been to the courthouse the day before to make sure she had the title free and clear and she claimed she did. Something was telling me wait and I told her we had to wait until we got our taxes back then we would finalize the deal. The next day, I called the county and found out there are 3 liens on her property. One from 2003 for 15K from the IRS, and two more liens from the Home Owners Association the property is located in for about 5K.

The property is worth about 25K and I don't mind paying what it is worth. What I do mind is someone trying to rip me off so I don't think anything is wrong with legally getting back at her. She is the property owner. The home owner association president identified her.

How can I buy that house and get out of paying the IRS lien? I want her to pay her own bills.
I was right to wait. So, she blatently tried to rip me off. I get that. There are people out there who will sell their own mother's for a buck. What I want to do now is offer her 2500 total for the property. Ideally, I'd like to settle with the IRS for a much smaller amount and have them keep going after her for the rest. The home owners association will let me pay out what is owed and will even reduce the amount by removing the late fees and penalties but this thief of an owner doesn't need to know that.

I don't know how the IRS liens work. If I buy this land am I responsible for the entire lien? Can the IRS still go after her for the amount as well?

I've already spoken to the HOA. They are willing, in writing, to settle with me. I'm just wondering if I go ahead and get her to sell to me for 2500 or so, will the IRS immediately come after me and demand I pay in full or confiscate the property altogether? Does it make any difference knowing that I also am on SSD so could the IRS even come after me?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Duplicate Post: https://forum.freeadvice.com/tax-law-12/irs-liens-property-541159.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">