• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Buying a house with my son

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mjw

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I'm looking to buy a house with my son. This would be his only house and he would be living in it. I already own a home and would remain living in it. I would provide most of the down payment and he would provide most of the mortgage monthly payments.

Would we be able to share the mortgage and tax deduction benefits?

Is there a set percentage we can split or do we decide ourselves?

sagito327

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I'm looking to buy a house with my son. This would be his only house and he would be living in it. I already own a home and would remain living in it. I would provide most of the down payment and he would provide most of the mortgage monthly payments.

Would we be able to share the mortgage and tax deduction benefits?

Is there a set percentage we can split or do we decide ourselves?
It depends on whether you are a cosigner or a coborrower. If you were a coborrower then you can expect the benefits of owning another home, but also the scrutiny of someone buying a second home (i.e. higher interest rate, etc.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">