• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can the seller open the second escrow?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

clytzeshi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

We were in the process of purchasing property when we discovered from the disclosure that the original owner passed away inside the house last year. So we canceled the sale based on the inspection contigency within the required time period.

We think we are entitled to our earest money, but the sellers won't sign to release our $10,000 earnest money.

The earnest money is in the escrow company now and it can not be released unless both party signed the cancel instruction.

Now they relisted the house on the market again. My question is, can they open the escrow with another buyer before they settle this dispute with us?

FlyingRon

You can file a suit (small claims if possible) against the seller and a lis pendens on the house about the contested transaction.

I'm not sure what inspection contingency has to do with someone dying inside the house.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

We were in the process of purchasing property when we discovered from the disclosure that the original owner passed away inside the house last year. So we canceled the sale based on the inspection contigency within the required time period.

We think we are entitled to our earest money, but the sellers won't sign to release our $10,000 earnest money.

The earnest money is in the escrow company now and it can not be released unless both party signed the cancel instruction.

Now they relisted the house on the market again. My question is, can they open the escrow with another buyer before they settle this dispute with us?

**A: yes they can.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">