• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

certificate of occupancy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nalnk

What is the name of your state? PA

When I built my house in 2004, the township municple office gave me the "Certificate of Occupancy".
I recently sold my house. Is it "law" that I have to hand this over to the new owners?

PghREA

nalnk said:
What is the name of your state? PA

When I built my house in 2004, the township municple office gave me the "Certificate of Occupancy".
I recently sold my house. Is it "law" that I have to hand this over to the new owners?
No. The purpose of the certificate is for the township to make sure the home is suitable for occupancy. The certificate you received is for you and your occupancy. Many muncipalities in PA require a new certificate for each new owner. As a seller you are required to turn over a "safe" home to the new owner. Your Realtor should be able to tell you if you need to obtain a Certificate of Occupancy for the new owners.

nalnk

The reason I ask is that on the CO it states that I am to keep it in a safe place and upon sale of the home I am to transfer it t o the new owner.

I have not done so for a reason as I am using it as a bargaining tool since they did not comply with something during the closing which I was absent for. I had a horrible lawyer who was negligent in this particular issue that is going on. I told my lawyer I am holding on to it until i get what I was promised!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">