• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changed closing date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

robbob

What is the name of your state? MA

The purchase and sales documents for the sale of my condo list 8.29.03 (Friday) as the closing date. My agent called tonight and said the closing had to be changed to 8.28. The reason given was because the appraisal had not been delivered to the bank until yesterday (appraisal was done five weeks ago). The lawyer for the closing does not schedule closings until they have all the paper work in hand, and since it was not delivered until now, they have no openings on Friday. The agent insists it must be done Thursday. Due to the nature of my wife's work, it is next to impossible for her to get the time off. We already scheduled Friday off. Can we be forced to sign it on Thurday?
Also, there was a discharge that had not been filed by the attorney when our condo was purchased. The $5,000 for that will be held back at the closing (out of our money) until it is straightened out. Again, we just found this out today. Is that proper? Is that considered a title issue and could we legally delay the closing until the discharge is taken care of? Thank you very much for any advice, this site has been extremely helpful and is much appreciated.

HomeGuru

robbob said:
What is the name of your state? MA

The purchase and sales documents for the sale of my condo list 8.29.03 (Friday) as the closing date. My agent called tonight and said the closing had to be changed to 8.28. The reason given was because the appraisal had not been delivered to the bank until yesterday (appraisal was done five weeks ago). The lawyer for the closing does not schedule closings until they have all the paper work in hand, and since it was not delivered until now, they have no openings on Friday. The agent insists it must be done Thursday. Due to the nature of my wife's work, it is next to impossible for her to get the time off. We already scheduled Friday off. Can we be forced to sign it on Thurday?

**A: no but it appears if you don't, closing will be delayed.
Also, there was a discharge that had not been filed by the attorney when our condo was purchased. The $5,000 for that will be held back at the closing (out of our money) until it is straightened out. Again, we just found this out today. Is that proper? Is that considered a title issue and could we legally delay the closing until the discharge is taken care of? Thank you very much for any advice, this site has been extremely helpful and is much appreciated.
**A: sounds like proper procedure to me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">