• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Closing date being changed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

geckos3

What is the name of your state? PA
We (husband and I) are in the process of buying our first home. We found out that the house we are buying was ready to go into foreclosure and the mortgage co. who holds the owners mortgage wants to change the closing, to 3 weeks earlier than in contract. Can they do this? They agreed to the closing date, and we wouldn't have bought this house if we knew the closing would be this early. We are moving across the country and it would be a hardship for us to close early. Thanks in advance for your help.

nextwife

Do you want to possibly lose the house? Can you presign closing docs without needing to travel?

See if they will compromise and split the difference?

G

geckos3

thank you for your quick reply. Our realtor is trying to get the listing agent to have the mortgage co. change settlement date to the original date. Did not know that we could do settlement without being there, have to check into it. We are feeling very mislead on this deal right now. We have been going through this process for almost 2 months, and then the mortgage co. wants to close in 3 weeks. No we don't want to lose the house.

gobonas99

By "split the difference", I believe nextwife meant to see if the mortgage co would be willing to close one and a half weeks early, rather than 3 weeks early. :)

nextwife

gobonas99 said:
By "split the difference", I believe nextwife meant to see if the mortgage co would be willing to close one and a half weeks early, rather than 3 weeks early. :)

YUP!!!! That way, you appear to be trying to work with the current lender. Depends on what the sheriffs sale and court dates are. They are trying to get this done before the next legal step in the FC step occurs, which adds to FC costs.

Yes, closings can be done in which the borrower is not PHYSICALLY in attendance in the town the property is in.. Sometimes the title insurer can have a sister office in your locale do a "witness closing" where you go in and sign the documents and then they certify to the properties title office that they are in possession of all the documents properly signed and notarized. Or documents are signed and expressed to the property title office. I can be done long distance.

G

geckos3

That's good info, thanks. I will definitely have to check into all of it, especially about doing the closing without being there if it comes to that. I also just heard from our realtor, and was informed that we would save on some interest if we closed earlier too. This is all new to us and quite overwhelming!
Have a good day. Thanks again. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">