• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

collecting a sm. claims judgment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rb2009

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I won a small claims judgment against buyers the sale of my house. They backed out and escrow didn't close due to fraudulent behavior. I won the entire escrow deposit. Escrow says they aren't on the judgment, only the buyers are,so the buyers have to sign a cancellation so that they can give me the money. Is this true? What if they don't sign it? How can I get the escrow company to release the deposit to me?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I won a small claims judgment against buyers the sale of my house. They backed out and escrow didn't close due to fraudulent behavior. I won the entire escrow deposit. Escrow says they aren't on the judgment, only the buyers are,so the buyers have to sign a cancellation so that they can give me the money. Is this true? What if they don't sign it? How can I get the escrow company to release the deposit to me?
**A: yes it is true. If they do not sign it then you go back to court. You messed up since you should have asked the court to issue instructions to the title company to release the funds backed up by the judgement against the Buyers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">