• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Daughter wants to buy my House

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jjbjr

What is the name of your state? CA

We recently purchased a house and had planned to sell my existing home after taking a few months to re-model our new house. My daughter asked if we would sell her the house, but we know she cannot afford the $350k+ sale price. She could, however, probably qualify for a $175k loan, so I have been thinking about selling a 50% interest in the house to her. What do I need to do to legally sell a 50% interest in my house to my daughter? The plan is to establish a current value of $350k now, my daughter would secure a $175k loan, pay-off our mortgage, and provide the residual $ to us. When the property sells at some point down the road, we would receive 50% of the sale $'s (less the commissions/fees), and my daughter would receive whatever is leftover after paying off her mortgage. I can't imagine why I couldn't do this, but I want to make sure that we are legally protected just in case may daughter gets married to some jerk in the future.

S

seniorjudge

"...I can't imagine why I couldn't do this, but I want to make sure that we are legally protected just in case may daughter gets married to some jerk in the future...."

Yes, you should be worried about this now.

There is nothing wrong with what you want to do. I would not do it, but I am not you and you are not me.

You have to worry about taxes and title work.

Get competent legal advice and competent tax advice.

This is a morass you are entering.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">