• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

do I have grounds

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

autie

What is the name of your state? CA
The buyer backed out after putting my self, my realtor and thier realtor through HELL. I have a new buyer but I wanted to know if I realease the deposit they (previous buyers) put in escrow (they said they would make my life miserable if I try to keep it), can I still take them to small claims court for the added house payment and expenses incurred while the house was off the market due to them agreeing to all aspects of the sales contract? I am now 1.5 months later signing a contract with new buyers and I can not have the house tied up in escrow for a deposit dispute.them to small claims court ?
Thanks in advance,
autie

HomeGuru

autie said:
The buyer backed out after putting my self, my realtor and thier realtor through HELL. I have a new buyer but I wanted to know if I realease the deposit they (previous buyers) put in escrow (they said they would make my life miserable if I try to keep it), can I still take them to small claims court for the added house payment and expenses incurred while the house was off the market due to them agreeing to all aspects of the sales contract? I am now 1.5 months later signing a contract with new buyers and I can not have the house tied up in escrow for a deposit dispute.them to small claims court ?
Thanks in advance,
autie

**A: you have no cause of action for damages unless the Buyer defaulted. If the Buyer was still within the contingency period for contract acceptance ie. home inspection, financing etc. you have no claim to the deposit or any damages period.

A

autie

the buyer did default, they passed the contract 30 day close and wanted an extention with no fees. We removed all requests, such as fixing all items at the cost of $1700. They decided to change loan instutaes for a better rate (2 weeks into the 30 day window) and then had a problem qualifying. The original agreement was they were prequlified, 30 day close and buyer to pay all inspections. IF I give them back thier deposit will that action not allow me to take them to small claims court?
Thanks in advance,
Autie:(

Last edited:
A

autie

Re: Re: do I have grounds

HomeGuru said:
autie said:
Thanks in advance,
autie

**A: you have no cause of action for damages unless the Buyer defaulted. If the Buyer was still within the contingency period for contract acceptance ie. home inspection, financing etc. you have no claim to the deposit or any damages period.

the buyer did default, they passed the contract 30 day close and wanted an extention with no fees. We removed all requests, such as fixing all items at the cost of $1700. They decided to change loan instutaes for a better rate (2 weeks into the 30 day window) and then had a problem qualifying. The original agreement was they were prequlified, 30 day close and buyer to pay all inspections. IF I give them back thier deposit will that action not allow me to take them to small claims court?
Thanks in advance,
Autie

HomeGuru

Well why did you not tell us that in the first place?
Anyway, once you return the deposit you have no cause of action. The deposit should be kept as damages for default.
Have an attorney review your contract and advise you accordingly.

A

autie

HomeGuru said:
Well why did you not tell us that in the first place?
Anyway, once you return the deposit you have no cause of action. The deposit should be kept as damages for default.
Have an attorney review your contract and advise you accordingly.
If I do not give the first buyer ( defaulted on the sale) the depost back, my house could be held up on the next sale due to them fighting for thier deposit. So if I understand you correctly, I do not have a case in small claims court because I relased the deposit that was held in escrow?
Thx, Autie

HomeGuru

autie said:
If I do not give the first buyer ( defaulted on the sale) the depost back, my house could be held up on the next sale due to them fighting for thier deposit. So if I understand you correctly, I do not have a case in small claims court because I relased the deposit that was held in escrow?
Thx, Autie

**A: in your previous posts, you asked if you should return the deposit. Now in this post, you state that you have already released the deposit.
I am confused, so hire an attorney and confuse him or her.

A

autie

HomeGuru said:
autie said:
Thx, Autie

**A: in your previous posts, you asked if you should return the deposit. Now in this post, you state that you have already released the deposit.
I am confused, so hire an attorney and confuse him or her.
There was a delay in the time you posted your response so I had to make a decision on returning the deposit. So if I understand you correctly, you do not want to answer my question of being able to file a small claims on them after releasing the deposit? You are being awfully harsh to me with your sharp tone. Do you not like helping the public on these issues? It is OK if that is the case but, for heavens sake don't take it out on the ones seeking the help......

HomeGuru

autie said:
There was a delay in the time you posted your response so I had to make a decision on returning the deposit. So if I understand you correctly, you do not want to answer my question of being able to file a small claims on them after releasing the deposit? You are being awfully harsh to me with your sharp tone. Do you not like helping the public on these issues? It is OK if that is the case but, for heavens sake don't take it out on the ones seeking the help......

**A: you made your post after the fact. Regardless, I already answered your question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">