• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex-wife's name on mortgage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JStalls

my husband's ex-wife's name is still on the mortgage (my name is not). his settlement indicated that he would pay her $5,000 by the end of 2002; this was her estimated equity in the house at the time of their divorce (nov. 92). we would like to re-apply for financing to get the mortgage in both our names, thereby getting her name off. there is a fee for this of approx. $500. will this clear him of paying her the $5,000, since her name will no longer be on the mortgage? also, my husband filed for bankruptcy in feb. 2000. he says he was not asked to list all of his creditors seperately. he claims that this should free him of his debt to his ex-wife, but i say that since she wasn't specifically listed that he may still owe her that money. (his ex filed bankruptcy too, the year before he did). thanks for your help.:confused:

HomeGuru

JStalls said:
my husband's ex-wife's name is still on the mortgage (my name is not). his settlement indicated that he would pay her $5,000 by the end of 2002; this was her estimated equity in the house at the time of their divorce (nov. 92). we would like to re-apply for financing to get the mortgage in both our names, thereby getting her name off. there is a fee for this of approx. $500. will this clear him of paying her the $5,000, since her name will no longer be on the mortgage? also, my husband filed for bankruptcy in feb. 2000. he says he was not asked to list all of his creditors seperately. he claims that this should free him of his debt to his ex-wife, but i say that since she wasn't specifically listed that he may still owe her that money. (his ex filed bankruptcy too, the year before he did). thanks for your help.:confused:
My response: he still owes the $5K.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">