• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failed septic system-7 yr old home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mabe

Hi, I'm in WASHINGTON State. 2+ years ago, we bought a house built in 1997. We just got told we have to replace our septic system, $4,500 + because it,s bubbling up, and it was put in wrong. The seller disclosed he had it inspected and approved, but the county records show he did not. We have also discovered he obtained various permits to build the house, but he never had anything inspected or approved. and he said the house was over 2000 sq ft, but the permit applicfations said 1700 sq ft, so we remeasured, and it is only 1711 sq ft. The realtor who listed it was also our realtor. My question is this, should our realtor help us this late, and is any of this insurable through the realtor under errors and omissions? if we sell, all these discoveries will devalue the home. I hope someone can help me!
Thanks for listening, Mabe

HomeGuru

mabe said:
Hi, I'm in WASHINGTON State. 2+ years ago, we bought a house built in 1997. We just got told we have to replace our septic system, $4,500 + because it,s bubbling up, and it was put in wrong. The seller disclosed he had it inspected and approved, but the county records show he did not. We have also discovered he obtained various permits to build the house, but he never had anything inspected or approved. and he said the house was over 2000 sq ft, but the permit applicfations said 1700 sq ft, so we remeasured, and it is only 1711 sq ft. The realtor who listed it was also our realtor. My question is this, should our realtor help us this late, and is any of this insurable through the realtor under errors and omissions? if we sell, all these discoveries will devalue the home. I hope someone can help me!
Thanks for listening, Mabe
**A: see a real estate attorney fast. Both the Seller and the Realtor are liable.

M

mabe

Hi Guru, yes, I think I do need a lawyer, now here is another problem. I Love the lawyer we have, and he specializes in real estate, and he has been awesome for us in the past, but he is partner in a large firm, and the realtor is his only tenant, she owns a large real estate company, and she is his tenant, they are friends, PLUS, the seller owns other real estate and businesses here, and he also uses the same law firm, different partner, and I feel my lawyer wouldn't serve us as aggressively, since he knows both the realtor and the seller. I know I should look for a different lawyer, but this firm IS the best. I was advised by another realtor, I shouldn't have my realtor handle this either.

And is square footage measured by the outside of the house, or room by room, and are the closets included in the footage?

Thanks for your advice Guru!

Mabe

HomeGuru

mabe said:
Hi Guru, yes, I think I do need a lawyer, now here is another problem. I Love the lawyer we have, and he specializes in real estate, and he has been awesome for us in the past, but he is partner in a large firm, and the realtor is his only tenant, she owns a large real estate company, and she is his tenant, they are friends, PLUS, the seller owns other real estate and businesses here, and he also uses the same law firm, different partner, and I feel my lawyer wouldn't serve us as aggressively, since he knows both the realtor and the seller. I know I should look for a different lawyer, but this firm IS the best. I was advised by another realtor, I shouldn't have my realtor handle this either.

**A: hire a new attorney.

And is square footage measured by the outside of the house, or room by room, and are the closets included in the footage?

**A: ask a local real esatet appraiser and the real property tax assessor.
Thanks for your advice Guru!

**A: ok.

Mabe

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">