• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fair market price for sale of property for commercial purposes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Linda M. Kitche

A Fred's Super Dollar Store Distribution Center is going to locate on several hundred acres in our small community. This will be a major industry with about 200 trucks a day going in and out.

My parents have 1.5 acres with two manufactured homes on this property. They have added extra siding, storm windows, a new roof, built on a closet to master bedroom, added a front and back porch, an additional single -wide home with shelter/shop for storage and work area, and a chained link fence.

The county has offered them $35,000 for the land. This is about 5 times the tax value of the land. They would have to purchase land and relocate their homes, to include moving homes, new septic systems, new wells. At first the money sounded good until we started figuring on dissembling all these additions which were never intended to be moved. We have figured purchasing two acreas, digging two wells, and two septic systems and approximate cost of moving would be about $25,000....so a little money left over. BUT, what shape would their homes be in after dissembling them...what about roofs and floors...what about putting back porches and closet?

We believe they need enough money to cover any possible repairs or enough to also purchase new homes (unfurnished).

What legal advice to protect their interest and the best way to go about this counter offer? Mom is on home oxygen so the environmental issue is a concern as well.

HomeGuru

Why is the county offering to buy their property when a private entity will be using the property? Is this purchase under negotiation so that the county does not have use their eminent domain powers through condemnation?
Tell the county $100K.

L

Linda M. Kitche

Thanks Home Guru. Thje "deal" is still being worked out. We thought another county had been selected by Freds. Now, the local Power Company (where my brother works) is preparing to move the power lines across the road. As I understand it the county/industry development group is having to meet certain demands by Freds to "entice" them to locate here.

The guy who approached my husband with the proposal is a brother of a good friend...but we put no stock in that. My husband was concerned because it came up suddenly again and the guy wanted to draw up a contract for $35,000 for land and wanted an answer by the next morning (that was three days ago). My husband asked, " why do it this soon....we are not sure they are coming here and all this is upsetting my in-laws...why not wait? The guy said, "oh, we could just tear up the contract if it doesn't go through" making me believe there is more to it.

The guy says the property won't be used/sold commercially. I don't believe that. I believe Freds wants those two manufactured homes out of the way and has directed the county group to take care of it. The other acreage was purchased from local farmers who sold my mom and dad their little 1.5 acrea many years ago.,
and even presently, they continue to farm land right up behind my parents home. Their irrigation sprays my folks house sometimes.

I know my parents don't want to live in the vicinity of a big industry with all the traffic from trucks , employees, noise and who knows what kind of pollution. They also don't want a structurally destroyed home to deal with and not have enough money to set it back up and make repairs. There is no doubt the structures will be less sound and could even be really messed up.

We were thinking in the line of $100,000 and figured they would either want it that bad or that possibly mom and dad might get stuck there. Do you think we need an attorney to help in this endeavor?

Thanks again for your answers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">