• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fuel oil spill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

djmd

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

Made offer on house, offer accepted. Settlement has been delayed due to furnance not working. Unfortunately the furnance was not hooked up properly to fuel oil thus spilling into crawl space under house. Estimated 50-60 gallons of fuel oil. Owner notified EPA/md dept of enviro and they will be supervising the clean-up. House is also on well water and that will be tested as well. I am attempting to determine if I still want to buy the house and what things I should consider such as: Due to the contamination even if it is cleaned up does this lower the value of the house? Is the realtor obligated to tell any potential future buyers of the contamination? or should there be any other things I am missing here? Thanks in advance for the help

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Due to the contamination even if it is cleaned up does this lower the value of the house?
It could and probably would.
Is the realtor obligated to tell any potential future buyers of the contamination?
Does it matter?
or should there be any other things I am missing here?
Depends on whether you decide to buy the house...

djmd

It could and probably would.
Does it matter?

Yes it would matter, in order for someone to make an educated decision they would need all information possible pertaining to the property. Is there not a full disclosure law that binds a realtor to tell a potential buyer things such as this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">