• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home abandonment law in Texas?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rbailey1968

What is the name of your state? Texas
I had a livin-in girlfriend for about 6 years. She decided to move out the first of April and she got an apartment and signed a 7 month lease. All I want to do is pay her the equity she has earned since she has been there. At the time of the home purchase, I put all the money down at closing (appx $15k) but put her name on the loan as co-buyer so we could qualify for a bigger home and her name is also on the deed.

My question is, since she has moved out and established residence somewhere else can that qualify as home abandonment? If she decided to make this ugly then I may not want to sell and just continue to pay on the mortgage. Could she force me to sell?

I would appreciate any advice on this. Thanks in advance!What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">