• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home inspector creates problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tf01134

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I order a home inspection for a forclosure that I am purchasing. Most of the work seems cosmetic. I meet the inspector at the house he is already inside and tells me there is a leak with the faucet when the water is turned on it shoots right up the top. He tries to chut off the valves but cannot so I take a stab at it and shut off the vavles to the sink. He then asks me to go to the valve out side and turn the water on for him while he does his thing inside. So I do and then we see there is a leak in the ceiling of the kitchen and water starts pouring in to the kitchen. So I run outside and turn off the valve. The water stops and he continues his inspection. We then both leave. I get his report and pay him. The listing agent who is working for he bank get the report and tells my agent they didn;t turn on the water did they and she said sure the inspector did to check it and he found leaks. Which are more than likely due to the company that winterized the property in the winter and did not do it properly. This lead me to beleive the listing agent had some prior knowledge that there were plumbing issues but did not divulge that infor to me on the contracts.

I come back a week later with a contractor to see about knocking a wall down. That same night I was going to pick up the contracts for the purchase of the house that came form the bank. I meet the contractor and we walk inside to see water leaking in in the middle of the kitchen. It appears the valve in the was not shut completely off. Now there is a lots of damage to the kitchen cabinets ceiling and hallway. Carpet and the floors Iw as gonna rip up any way. My questions is who is gonna be liable to get this corrected cause now we have a major problem and hwo should I handle it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I order a home inspection for a forclosure that I am purchasing. Most of the work seems cosmetic. I meet the inspector at the house he is already inside and tells me there is a leak with the faucet when the water is turned on it shoots right up the top. He tries to chut off the valves but cannot so I take a stab at it and shut off the vavles to the sink. He then asks me to go to the valve out side and turn the water on for him while he does his thing inside. So I do and then we see there is a leak in the ceiling of the kitchen and water starts pouring in to the kitchen. So I run outside and turn off the valve. The water stops and he continues his inspection. We then both leave. I get his report and pay him. The listing agent who is working for he bank get the report and tells my agent they didn;t turn on the water did they and she said sure the inspector did to check it and he found leaks. Which are more than likely due to the company that winterized the property in the winter and did not do it properly. This lead me to beleive the listing agent had some prior knowledge that there were plumbing issues but did not divulge that infor to me on the contracts.

I come back a week later with a contractor to see about knocking a wall down. That same night I was going to pick up the contracts for the purchase of the house that came form the bank. I meet the contractor and we walk inside to see water leaking in in the middle of the kitchen. It appears the valve in the was not shut completely off. Now there is a lots of damage to the kitchen cabinets ceiling and hallway. Carpet and the floors Iw as gonna rip up any way. My questions is who is gonna be liable to get this corrected cause now we have a major problem and hwo should I handle it.
Home Inspector Creates Problem??????

YOU turned the valves on/off. Seems to me that it was YOU who didn't close the valve completely.

Tf01134

I get that their is some sort of liability because I turned the shut off. Although, I was under the direction of the home inspector. So some level of liability lies with him. Furtermore, the listing agent did not reveal any issues with the plumbing. He obviously knew there was something wrong with the plumbing by what he said " they ddn't turn on the water did they".

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I get that their is some sort of liability because I turned the shut off. Although, I was under the direction of the home inspector. So some level of liability lies with him. Furtermore, the listing agent did not reveal any issues with the plumbing. He obviously knew there was something wrong with the plumbing by what he said " they ddn't turn on the water did they".
Your thread is titled "Home inspector creates problem".
I think the home inspector has NO liability.

JustAPal00

I was under the direction of the home inspector.
You're trying to blame him because he didn't tell you how to turn the valve tight enough? Are you kidding? I would expect my 9 year old to turn the water completely off! You made the mistake, now be a man and own up!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">