• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

home office - selling home - capital gain taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

angelav123

What is the name of your state? calif.
I want to sell my home of 7 years, but I've operated a small business from it and have taken the home office deduction on my income taxes. The office portion is a detached building (garage of sorts) from my home & attached garage, all on the same 1/4 acre city lot. What are my capital gain taxes, if any due to the depreciation, etc taken on the home office deduction. I know I can get a $250,000 ($500,00 if filling jointly) exclusion, but will the fact that i've run a home business interfere with that exclusion? please advise. thank you.

PghREA

Yes, there will be capital gains tax due on the business portion of your home. How much, that depends. You need to take your prior tax returns to your CPA and have him do the calculations. The amount of tax you will have to pay depends on the information you submitted on those returns (and the amount you receive on the sale of the home less the basis).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">