• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to get Inspection & Appraisal fee returned after house failed inspection.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

ROMOM

I am a single mom in Texas trying to buy a house alone for the 1st time. I made an offer on a house and it was accepted. We were trying to close by the end of the month, so the Inspection & Appraisal were both done on the same day at my expense - $240 for inspection, $425 for Appraisal. The inspection turned up major foundation problems, drainage problems, & termite damage, so I exercised my right to back out of the contract. I can get my $500 earnest money back, but is there any way to be compensated for the $665 I spent on the inspection & appraisal? I know this is a small amount of money to some people, but lately it's a lot of money for me to lose. The seller had not disclosed any defects, said the house had been rented for 4-5 years. I know he knew about everything wrong with that house, as you can tell so half-hearted attempts at covering up cracks, etc. had been made.

HomeGuru

Unless written to the contrary in the purchase contract, appraisal and inspection fees are the expenses paid for by the Buyer. There is always a risk in turning in an offer and paying for due diligence process.

R

ROMOM

How do I get inspection & appraisal money back?

Thanks for the reply Guru, I was afraid of that.
Now that the seller has my inspection report detailing all that is wrong with the house, doesn't he have to disclose all that to the next buyer?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">