• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to put a lien on someone's home?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Schwippsy

What is the name of your state? IL
Hi there,
2 years ago I had a handyman renovate one of the rooms in my home.
We had a lot of disagreements and ended up with him not finishing the job and me not making the last payment. I have not heard from him until a month ago when I put my home up for sale he tried to send me a registered letter. Totally shocked to hear his name again and not ready to deal with him again, I did deny receipt of that letter.
I think he might try to put a lien on my house just so he can prevent me from selling it. Just because, he is that kind of handyman. Makes money with bogus lawsuits not labor. :eek: He knows he was wrong then and if we really have to go to court for the remodeling job, he would not be given a judgement that I have to pay him the full remainder.
My question is what does it take for him, if he really wanted to put a lien on my house? How do I find out if he did? Does he need to 'serve' me something to do so? What process does he have to follow? What can I do to close on the house and deal with him after closing?
Thank you all for your help. This site and its people is awesome!
Schwippsy

MGNiko

An intent to lien is as simple as filling out a piece of paper and paying $5 in my state, I'm not sure about yours. After the intent to lien, you usually have to wait 90 days before you can file a true lien against the property, this gives the owner time to pay up. This is generally done at a local title company. Most people don't realize they have a lien on their house until a preliminary title report is pulled when the house is under sales contract. I'd get my ducks in a row with receipts and records to be prepaired just in case. Contact a local title company to get more information about lien's.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">