• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I want to sell property, but the other co-owner does not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Teflonguy13

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Fl

Yes? I want to sell my half ownership in a residential property. The other owner involved is not related to me and I have absolutely or ever had any involvement or interest in the other owners personal life. I have to say this because people will get the wrong idea.This was strictly done as an investment purchase and was legally gone about incorrectly as far as when we would sell the residence in the future.

As far as the circumstances involved its a long story, so it really doesn't have any relavance.Can I sell the residential home? If I cannot force a sale, can I sell my half interest in the home?

I do know that now the other owner which has a very good credit record is now and for medical reasons not able to work for at least 1 year and possible more. The other owner might be able to get finacial help from family, but in the end the other owner will not be able to afford thier share of 1/2 property taxes, (which is about $ 1,100.00). I do not pay for Maintenance, utilities, or any other costs involved, except for any home repairs that might be needed. Also the residence has been remodeled and is in great shape. This is why we purchased the home at a great price (Apprx. $ 140,000.00) to begin with about 3 years ago. the market value is up atleast 40-45% in the area where the home is at now.

Again, don't ask me why this person doesn't want to sell now, or why I got involved with this person to begin with.
There is no mortgage and is free and cleared. We took care of that already, so now it just sits there. Nobody living in it. Pretty freaking strange if you ask me, but hopefully i can get some good advice on this forum? Thank you. :confused:

HomeGuru

Teflonguy13 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Fl

Yes? I want to sell my half ownership in a residential property. The other owner involved is not related to me and I have absolutely or ever had any involvement or interest in the other owners personal life. I have to say this because people will get the wrong idea.This was strictly done as an investment purchase and was legally gone about incorrectly as far as when we would sell the residence in the future.

As far as the circumstances involved its a long story, so it really doesn't have any relavance.Can I sell the residential home? If I cannot force a sale, can I sell my half interest in the home?

I do know that now the other owner which has a very good credit record is now and for medical reasons not able to work for at least 1 year and possible more. The other owner might be able to get finacial help from family, but in the end the other owner will not be able to afford thier share of 1/2 property taxes, (which is about $ 1,100.00). I do not pay for Maintenance, utilities, or any other costs involved, except for any home repairs that might be needed. Also the residence has been remodeled and is in great shape. This is why we purchased the home at a great price (Apprx. $ 140,000.00) to begin with about 3 years ago. the market value is up atleast 40-45% in the area where the home is at now.

Again, don't ask me why this person doesn't want to sell now, or why I got involved with this person to begin with.
There is no mortgage and is free and cleared. We took care of that already, so now it just sits there. Nobody living in it. Pretty freaking strange if you ask me, but hopefully i can get some good advice on this forum? Thank you. :confused:

**A: have a meeting with the other owners to discuss the sale.

Teflonguy13

That might be a good idea, but the other owner is unwilling to do this legally without being forced to. I think my only realistic option is to file a lawsuit (Partition of Sale)like I was advised to. This is next.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

Teflonguy13 said:
That might be a good idea, but the other owner is unwilling to do this legally without being forced to. I think my only realistic option is to file a lawsuit (Partition of Sale)like I was advised to. This is next.
**A:: if that's the case then litigate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">