• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Incorrect Mortgage Payoff

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sandra Doyle

I currently live in Missouri and recently sold a house in Virginia on DEC 13. I have just learned that my mortgage wasn't paid in full due to someone not calling for a currently payoff. The Attorney who prepared the paperwork called for a payoff on NOV 15. Those are the figures they closed with. When she called for payoff, she automatically deducted the DEC payment and all the money in escrow from the loan payoff amount. Unfortunately, the escrow amt went to pay my taxes on DEC 7. I have tried addressing the problem with both my lawyer and the buyer's attorney, who each insist it was the other's fault for not obtaining the proper figures. Mr. Brown, my attorney stated that it was my responsibility due to the fact that I had incurred the loan originally. He was really arrogant and gave the lawyer cover-up story. I simply cannot believe it wasn't someone's responsibility to obtain a more currently payoff. The lending institution has very good records on the case and also informed me that it was not common practice to use figure that were 2 days shy of a month old for closing. Any advice will be appreciated. -- Sandy

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">