• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Joint Tenancy Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kire28

I live in Maryland and I have a question regarding my current ownership of several houses. I know I purchased my beach house with my brother as Joint Tenants with Survivorship becaused it was clearly indicated on all of the documents. I recently purchased a house with my fiancee and I don't know if we purchased it as Joint Tenants with Survivorship or not. Is Joint Tenancy automatic and if so, what changes will occur when we get married as to the status of our ownership? My fiancee and I were talking about it tonight and I thought I would look for the answer online first. Hopefully, someone can clarify it. I know what joint tenacy is but I want to know if it is automatic and what will be the difference if any once we are married.

HomeGuru

JT is not automatic. In some states if no tenancy is specified then title is held as Tenants in Common. You have to look at your deed. Even if you get married the tenancy does not change. You must change it if you want it different. Generally married couples take title via Tenants By the Entirety.

You can do a search using those words if you want more information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">