• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

louha

What is the name of your state?New York
Moved from Michigan 3 years ago where no lawyers are needed for real estate closings. All handled by title company.We purchased house in NY and were told by NY real estate agent that a lawyer was needed for completion of real estate tranactions in NY. Lawyer charged flat fee of $750 did a great job. Am now reselling, house price increased $200,000. Prior lawyer no longer practicing, new lawyer charging flat fee of $1500.00. Couple of questions, is it mandatory to use a lawyer in New York and if yes what are the usual fees. Are the charges based on a flat rate or on hours or on sale price of house or at the lawyers discrection. This is a very simple straight forward sale. Buyers have no house to sell, are putting 20% down and will wait until we are ready to move as long as it is by summertime. Does the lawyers fee of $1500 seem like a fair charge or would I be further ahead to "shop around". Please educate me. Thanks

HomeGuru

louha said:
What is the name of your state?New York
Moved from Michigan 3 years ago where no lawyers are needed for real estate closings. All handled by title company.We purchased house in NY and were told by NY real estate agent that a lawyer was needed for completion of real estate tranactions in NY. Lawyer charged flat fee of $750 did a great job. Am now reselling, house price increased $200,000. Prior lawyer no longer practicing, new lawyer charging flat fee of $1500.00. Couple of questions, is it mandatory to use a lawyer in New York and if yes what are the usual fees. Are the charges based on a flat rate or on hours or on sale price of house or at the lawyers discrection. This is a very simple straight forward sale. Buyers have no house to sell, are putting 20% down and will wait until we are ready to move as long as it is by summertime. Does the lawyers fee of $1500 seem like a fair charge or would I be further ahead to "shop around". Please educate me. Thanks
**A: get other quotes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">