• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lemon House

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mvbella

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana
Last May my husband and I bought a house and had a home inspection done. Our Inspector did find some rotting exterior boards that needed replacing which we did. Short of normal things that may go wrong in a 13 year old house, there weren't any major problems.

After a year of living here, we found carpenter ants. We investigated where the ants were coming from and found that they were on the deck boards that wrap the floor joices. When we pulled the insulation off the decking boards in the basement, we found two 2x4 boards nailed to the subfloor because the subfloor was rotting!!

We did some more investigative work only to find that all the water is being caused by poor siding installation when the house was built and we need new siding to the tune of almost $20k! The water is getting behind the siding.

We also had an exterior door replaced and when the contractor took the old door out, the subfloor was rotted so bad that it just crumbled, right through the floor joices.

We don't have the money for these types of major construction projects.

The sellers that sold us the house disclosed that there was no water damage to the house on their sellers disclosure.

Is there any one we can put the blame on?

JETX

The sellers that sold us the house disclosed that there was no water damage to the house on their sellers disclosure.

Is there any one we can put the blame on?
You will need to contact a local attorney who can review ALL the facts and advise.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Jet's 100% correct.

I am curious though...was the seller the original owner of the house when it was built?

HomeGuru

Jet's 100% correct.

I am curious though...was the seller the original owner of the house when it was built?
**A: also, why did the home inspector not tell you about the siding problems?
Review the seller disclosure statement and the home inspection report.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">