• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lock Boxes on homes and safty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DavidKanavel

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Recently I listed my home witrh a realtor for sale. One of the real estate agents came to show our home and used the lock box to get in, cause we are not supposed to be here when it gets shown. When the showing was over apparantly he didn't get the lock box together correctly because the next day we found the lock box open, the key and combination set laying on the ground outside our home. I have M. D. and don't get around very well and was wondering what would have happened if someone in the middle of the night happened to find that and come in and kill us in our sleep.
We don't know the combination so we couldn't put it back together and had to call someone out to do it. We didn't even get more than I'm sorry for it. I wish someone could tell me what to do or where to go.
Thank you,
David Kanavel

HomeGuru

DavidKanavel said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio

Recently I listed my home witrh a realtor for sale. One of the real estate agents came to show our home and used the lock box to get in, cause we are not supposed to be here when it gets shown. When the showing was over apparantly he didn't get the lock box together correctly because the next day we found the lock box open, the key and combination set laying on the ground outside our home. I have M. D. and don't get around very well and was wondering what would have happened if someone in the middle of the night happened to find that and come in and kill us in our sleep.

**A: if that happened, you would probably wake up and realize that you were dead in which case you would not be posting here.
We don't know the combination so we couldn't put it back together and had to call someone out to do it. We didn't even get more than I'm sorry for it. I wish someone could tell me what to do or where to go.
Thank you,
David Kanavel
**A: options- tell the Realtor to be present at ALL showings, have all showings by appointment only, give you the lockbox combo so you can remove the key when you are not at home, remove the lockbox entirely............

BradleyS

RE Broker in Kansas:

Great advice from HomeGuru........

DEMAND that your REALTOR be present at all showings. And your REALTOR needs to call the local REALTOR board and file a written complaint on the agent that showed the property last.

You should have your listing agreement amended to include that your REALTOR must be present at all closing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">