• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Must all heirs agree to sell home?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lil Red Wagon

Missouri

My grandmother left her home and property in her will to her children and grandchildren.
The state and city property taxes were not paid and the home was put on the tax lien auction list.
I paid the taxes to keep it from being lost for such a relatively small amount.
Does this action forfeit the rights of the other heirs? Can I ask them to reimburse me for their share of the taxes?

Thank you for your assistance!

justalayman

No it doesn't mean the others lost their share of the home.

Unless probate has been completed and the title to the property transferred
The estate is liable for the taxes. You can seek reimbursement for your payment from the estate.

Also, if probate has not been completed, whether the house can be sold without the other heirs agreement is going to depend on whether grandmother left the home, by specific mention, to all heirs or it was something more in the line that the heirs share equally in the assets of the estate.

If probate has closed and the title transferred, the others do not lose their share of interest but you would have a claim to be reimbursed by the others for their pro rata share of the taxes you paid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">