• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My elderly grandmother ripped off! What to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PHILTEX

What is the name of your state? Texas
My Grandmother is over 77, she has been befriended by a young man that owns an antique store. He told her he wanted to buy one of her rental properties. So they went to the Harris County Court House and she signed the deed over to him. The agreed upon terms were also written on the recorded document, he gave her an initial down payment, which he subsequently got back from her for a "family emergency" and never paid her a nickel ever since. I checked county records and he has been the property owner for 1 1/2 years now. She has continued to pay utilities?? and taxes??? I guess that is good but how do we take property back? Please need help on this one.

PS There is no lien on property. I'm considering a title search before going and asking him for quick quit claim deed agreement. If that doesn't work then what? He is praying on a old person can I go after him for that?

HomeGuru

PHILTEX said:
What is the name of your state? Texas
My Grandmother is over 77, she has been befriended by a young man that owns an antique store. He told her he wanted to buy one of her rental properties. So they went to the Harris County Court House and she signed the deed over to him. The agreed upon terms were also written on the recorded document, he gave her an initial down payment, which he subsequently got back from her for a "family emergency" and never paid her a nickel ever since. I checked county records and he has been the property owner for 1 1/2 years now. She has continued to pay utilities?? and taxes??? I guess that is good but how do we take property back? Please need help on this one.

PS There is no lien on property. I'm considering a title search before going and asking him for quick quit claim deed agreement. If that doesn't work then what? He is praying on a old person can I go after him for that?

**A: have her hire a real estate attorney fast before more elderly fraud is committed.

PHILTEX

Thanks I will consult with a Real Estate Lawyer. One problem though the property is worth roughly 30k. Attorney's fees may eat up everything when it is all said and done? Can I put a lien on property for failure to pay as the terms stipulated?

HomeGuru

PHILTEX said:
Thanks I will consult with a Real Estate Lawyer. One problem though the property is worth roughly 30k. Attorney's fees may eat up everything when it is all said and done? Can I put a lien on property for failure to pay as the terms stipulated?

**A: no, you need to hekp her sue for breach of contract, fraud, conversion.......

HomeGuru

PHILTEX said:

**A: no, you need to help her sue for breach of contract, fraud, conversion.......

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">