• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help in Oregon

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LupusHurts

What is the name of your state? Oregon

We bought a house in Oregon in an "as is" condition...we have owned the house for almost 3 years and just discovered that it has a very old infestation of carpenter ants {oregon termites} and the house has been falling down!!

Inspector said prob 30 to 40 years worth of termite damage to structural wood & min estimate as of now is $19,000 but could go up.

The owner was a carpenter & had removed the huge fireplace & had to replace flooring & parts of the walls...bug man said he DID see the damage & bugs when he did this work. We were told we have no legal recourse b/c of the as is clause even tho this is a safety issue and he deliberately failed to disclose this information. Is there any help/hope for us? LupusHurts

HomeGuru

LupusHurts said:
What is the name of your state? Oregon

We bought a house in Oregon in an "as is" condition...we have owned the house for almost 3 years and just discovered that it has a very old infestation of carpenter ants {oregon termites} and the house has been falling down!!

Inspector said prob 30 to 40 years worth of termite damage to structural wood & min estimate as of now is $19,000 but could go up.

The owner was a carpenter & had removed the huge fireplace & had to replace flooring & parts of the walls...bug man said he DID see the damage & bugs when he did this work. We were told we have no legal recourse b/c of the as is clause even tho this is a safety issue and he deliberately failed to disclose this information. Is there any help/hope for us? LupusHurts
**A: what was noted on the Seller disclosure statement and when did you first discover the problem? Did you have a home inspection and what did your real estate agent tell you about the termite inspection when you bought the property?

L

LupusHurts

Need Help in Oregon

Unfortunately there was no disclosure statement and even tho we had our own R.E. agent he actually told my better half that if he really wanted this house he better NOT get an inspection because it would never pass!

Everything our agent said & did has come back to bite us you know where....I hated this house from the first second I saw it and tried to point out everything I saw that I thought was a major problem but I got "run over" by the guys and since my b/f was able to get the larger loan we ended up in this house.

Our agent never said a word about termites and I didn't know about carpenter ants so I didn't know the damage I was looking at wasn't dry rot but the termite damage. Guess the as is clause means we eat it big time in this rotten house!

This town has a very depressed housing market {4000 pop including the cows} so we will never be able to recoup the $ we are putting into it. I called our agent & told him about the probs & he said,"well, if it's any consolation, I had to replace the foundation of a house I bought" like that is making me feel any better; I feel like he is responsible for this mess.

HomeGuru

Re: Need Help in Oregon

LupusHurts said:
Unfortunately there was no disclosure statement and even tho we had our own R.E. agent he actually told my better half that if he really wanted this house he better NOT get an inspection because it would never pass!

Everything our agent said & did has come back to bite us you know where....I hated this house from the first second I saw it and tried to point out everything I saw that I thought was a major problem but I got "run over" by the guys and since my b/f was able to get the larger loan we ended up in this house.

Our agent never said a word about termites and I didn't know about carpenter ants so I didn't know the damage I was looking at wasn't dry rot but the termite damage. Guess the as is clause means we eat it big time in this rotten house!

This town has a very depressed housing market {4000 pop including the cows} so we will never be able to recoup the $ we are putting into it. I called our agent & told him about the probs & he said,"well, if it's any consolation, I had to replace the foundation of a house I bought" like that is making me feel any better; I feel like he is responsible for this mess.
**A: hire an attorney and sue his assets.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">