• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New home building contract arbitration over association fees dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mickey35

Minnesota, I recently purchased/built a new home in a large (several thousand homes/many builders) planned community that has 2 associations for everyone. The master association covers everyone, and then each little sub community (based on builder phases basically) has a sub association. I was moving out of a sitituation identical to this that had 2 associtations, so was aware of how it worked, and specifically asked about and looked for it in the contract to make sure I could stomach it.

The contract/purchase agreement I signed had us being part of association M(master) $18 a month and association A(sub association) $24 annually. Even the day of the final walkthrough and closing, another copy of paperwork given to me showed the same thing, but at the time of closing I found out that they screwed up and my sub association dues were now going to be $27 a MONTH, over a 1300% increase.

Why? Because the orginal and subsequent contracts had the fees for phase 1 which had no common area to maintain, and the association I was actually going to be part of had not been formulated yet. Phase 2 apparently had/has approximately a quarter acre of common area to maintain that apperently costs $13,000 a year to water, mow, and manage. (ridiculous, but another issue for someone else to deal with hopefully)

My purchase agreement says we will use the National Arbitration Forum to resolve any conflicts. I don't think I should have to pay anymore than that of phase 1 residents (currently $24 annual), which is what my contract stated/states, for as long as I live here. For that matter, I sort of feel like for the life of the home it should be that way, but realize that may be a bit far. I do feel it will hurt resale somewhat, having to tell someone 27 dollars a month goes to mowing that little patch of land for a half hour every week in the summer.

The builder(large, long established) offered up to pay for 1 years difference. Since we plan on being here 15 years at least, that still leaves at least $4000 dollars unaccounted for outta my pocket book.

A) Am I stuck with arbitration(not really opposed to it, but it's not exactly free either, of course court is probably more)?

B) If I go to arbitration, shouldn't I win without much question? Isn't a contract a contract still?

C) Since they basically violated Minnesota law in regards to Association disclosure statues, is this something I could take to a State agency(Attorney General or something), and possibly get some help?

Thanks for any help.

Please only legal opinions or repsonses of anyone who has experienced a similar situation.

JETX

mickey35 said:
Am I stuck with arbitration(not really opposed to it, but it's not exactly free either, of course court is probably more)?
Depends ENTIRELY on the terms you agreed to. If it provides EXCLUSIVELY for arbitration, the answer is likely, yes.

If I go to arbitration, shouldn't I win without much question?
Personally, based solely on your post, I doubt it.

Isn't a contract a contract still?
If it is valid, and not in error, yes.

Since they basically violated Minnesota law in regards to Association disclosure statues, is this something I could take to a State agency(Attorney General or something), and possibly get some help?
First, I don't know what law you are referring to.... but you are certainly free to contact any state agency that you want to.

Please only legal opinions or repsonses of anyone who has experienced a similar situation.
Sorry, for FREE, you get what you get. If you want to impose conditions on any response, go pay a local attorney. :eek:

pojo2

I do feel it will hurt resale somewhat Doubtful. If I were moving to the subdivision I would think the fees very agreeable. Depends on where you might be moving from.

Now as to the contract, if you are concerned enough to fight it then have an Atty in your area look at all your paperwork and give you an accurate assessment of your chances of winning the argument.

Anyone can discuss the issues that arise here it is an open forum and the last thing you will get is a definitive legal opinion. Why? Because no one has every relevant document in front of them to go over. All we have is your interpretation of what that paperwork says which might be right on but no one will stick their neck out on "might be".

HomeGuru

[QUOTE=JETX
Sorry, for FREE, you get what you get. If you want to impose conditions on any response, go pay a local attorney.

**A: now that's a good response.

mickey35

Sorry

I apologize for my last sentence and attempt to limit the discussion. Apparently that is getting more of a response than my actual problem is.

Assume these facts.

Newly built home.
Purchase agreement states all disputes resolved in arbitration according to the rules of the National Arbitration Forum.
Master association 18 dollars a month
Sub association 24 dollars annually ACCORDING TO CONTRACT(Associaton disclosure statement included with purchase agreement and such)
At closing I am asked to pay 80 some dollars to cover sub association fees till the end of the year. I realize this is WAY more than it should be ( try almost 4 years worth not 4 months worth) and am told over the phone by the builder that they screwed up and we'll work it out(see prior explanation about what happened/ how it got screwed up). They have offered to pay one lousy year, leaving me on the hook for 300 dollars per year after that.

Anyone with some insight, feel free, I'm listening. Thanks

HomeGuru

mickey35 said:
I apologize for my last sentence and attempt to limit the discussion. Apparently that is getting more of a response than my actual problem is.

Assume these facts.

Newly built home.
Purchase agreement states all disputes resolved in arbitration according to the rules of the National Arbitration Forum.
Master association 18 dollars a month
Sub association 24 dollars annually ACCORDING TO CONTRACT(Associaton disclosure statement included with purchase agreement and such)
At closing I am asked to pay 80 some dollars to cover sub association fees till the end of the year. I realize this is WAY more than it should be ( try almost 4 years worth not 4 months worth) and am told over the phone by the builder that they screwed up and we'll work it out(see prior explanation about what happened/ how it got screwed up). They have offered to pay one lousy year, leaving me on the hook for 300 dollars per year after that.

Anyone with some insight, feel free, I'm listening. Thanks
**A: thanks for posting.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">