• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parents buying a house for me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beckett014

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

I am purchasing a house. My parents want to help me. They have offered to pay for the house (they have the means to do this).

They want to purchase the property in their name then have me pay them back over 5 years. The house would then be transfered to my name.

What are the issues with this? Tax consequences? Legal?

Is it better to purchase the house in my name and have a loan from my parents?

Thanks.

tranquility

It's usually better to reflect reality than to tweek it. Buy your house and give the note and mortgage to your parents. The other way causes you to not really have as powerful as rights as you otherwise could have.

nextwife

Why not have them purchase it, then you buy it from them, and have them take back a mortgage (recorded) which protects their interest as a creditor, yet gives you the benefits and rights as an owner.

This year, house prices are expected to drop (alot!) so, financially speaking, its better to rent than to buy until housing market gets better.

xylene

How are you going to pay back a whole house in 5 years?

If you have that kind of means yourself then just buy a house.

Or do you mean you are only going to repay them a small fraction of what they purchased the house for and they will give you substantial equity?

FarmerJ

If they are going to buy it outright and will own it free and clear with no outstanding mortgage to bank then you can talk to a atty about doing a contract for deed, I would say if there is a balloon at the end of the contract that you would have to plan for refi in the 4th yr so that way you have ample time to get a mortgage of your own , other wise a CD can be structured longer than 5 yrs if they will own it free and clear , a atty can draw up contract for deed for you , assist you with what you will need to do to record it.

bluee

So its goodness for you, but one thing should keep in mind that the home should not indulge any illegal activity.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">