• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

post closing basement water damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Archie

help in virginia. three weeks after we sold our townhouse, the buyer discovered some water damage behind a basement wall when he removed the paneling to build some bookshelves. he had no home inspection done, no complaints at walk through and no complaints at settlement, although i think he was suffering from buyers remorse. the buyer is now accusing us of fraud and failure to disclose and wants us to pay for the damage. i had no knowledge of this damage, i lived in the house for three years and never once did i see water. i don't have x-ray vision. this room was our family room. he is threatening lawsuit both to us and the real estate company. i don't know how much damage there is. am i liable? what is the home warranty for? what about buyer beware and as is?

HomeGuru

Archie said:
help in virginia. three weeks after we sold our townhouse, the buyer discovered some water damage behind a basement wall when he removed the paneling to build some bookshelves. he had no home inspection done, no complaints at walk through and no complaints at settlement, although i think he was suffering from buyers remorse. the buyer is now accusing us of fraud and failure to disclose and wants us to pay for the damage. i had no knowledge of this damage, i lived in the house for three years and never once did i see water. i don't have x-ray vision. this room was our family room. he is threatening lawsuit both to us and the real estate company. i don't know how much damage there is. am i liable? what is the home warranty for? what about buyer beware and as is?
My response: a home inspector does not have X-ray vision either so even if a home inspection was done, it would not have revealed the problem. You probably are not liable.
The home warranty does not cover basenment leaks.
Buyer beware and as-is may help you in this case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">