• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property Purchase w/ Shed, Shed Co claims it was rented

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carriem

What is the name of your state? Florida

I bought a home last June that also had a large shed on it. At the time of purchase I was given keys to both the house and the shed. I have just received a letter from a local shed company stating that the shed was under a rental agreement by the previous owner and they will allow me to pay it off and keep it or they will come get it. Wouldn't the shed legally be mine since it came with the property and there was no mention or presentation of lease agreements on it?

BelizeBreeze

carriem said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

I bought a home last June that also had a large shed on it. At the time of purchase I was given keys to both the house and the shed. I have just received a letter from a local shed company stating that the shed was under a rental agreement by the previous owner and they will allow me to pay it off and keep it or they will come get it. Wouldn't the shed legally be mine since it came with the property
ABSOLUTELY NOT.
and there was no mention or presentation of lease agreements on it?
Doesn't matter. Simply put, you cannot Convert the shed, if owned by a third party, to your ownership unless the party transferring ownership has been given that right by the third party (legal owner).

Your ONLY solution is to contact the company and ask for a copy of the rental agreement and if it does, in fact exist and IF there was a material representation as to the shed transferring with the property, go after the previous owner.

However, I doubt seriously if the shed, if in fact rented, was included in the deed description or closing documents.

The previous answer was completely wrong based solely on the facts you presented.

acmb05

BelizeBreeze said:
ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Doesn't matter. Simply put, you cannot Convert the shed, if owned by a third party, to your ownership unless the party transferring ownership has been given that right by the third party (legal owner).

Your ONLY solution is to contact the company and ask for a copy of the rental agreement and if it does, in fact exist and IF there was a material representation as to the shed transferring with the property, go after the previous owner.

However, I doubt seriously if the shed, if in fact rented, was included in the deed description or closing documents.

The previous answer was completely wrong based solely on the facts you presented.

Thank you. I shall delete it immediately.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">