• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Purchased "Fully Remodeled" Home 45 days ago...Furnace dies

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

emiejo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO

Our friends purchased a fully remodeled home from a local builder/contractor.
They closed less than two months ago and the furnace has "blown up". The inspection shows furnace in "good" condition and this has been its first use since moving in. It will cost approximately 10k to replace. Is there an expectancy that the home and its general elements (heating, air, plumbing, roof) be in good working order?
There is only 1k in escrow for the builder to finish some excavating work (he has a repuation for incomplete work) and has not replied to messages left him.
The repair company said that it blew up due to something not being hooked up properly and it being over 20 years old. Wouldn't an inspector have noticed something "not hooked up properly", let alone stated the machine's age in the documents?
Is there any "lemon law" regarding real estate?

Thank you in advance.

CraigFL

And get a second opinion... It's easy to replace a furnace but you may find someone to actually repair it and save them some money.

emiejo

If anyone has some "Useful" advice....

Tell your friends that home ownership is not cheap.
This is not only unhelpful its condescending. I am hoping that someone can actually give advice more related to the actual question.
In reply t the second post....yes, we have five quotes for repair and replacement. $2k to 10K. It still doesn't negate the fact that there is a certain expectancy that when the inspector and the seller say the furnace is in working order, that it doesn't break the first time one uses it.

Again, if someone knows of any laws on the books that address the issue directly, please let me know.
Thank you

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This is not only unhelpful its condescending. I am hoping that someone can actually give advice more related to the actual question.
In reply t the second post....yes, we have five quotes for repair and replacement. $2k to 10K. It still doesn't negate the fact that there is a certain expectancy that when the inspector and the seller say the furnace is in working order, that it doesn't break the first time one uses it.

Again, if someone knows of any laws on the books that address the issue directly, please let me know.
Thank you
I gave you correct advice. Sorry it's not what you wanted to hear. I've posted a new response that may be more along the lines of what you hoped to hear:

Ok, tell your friends to sue anybody who had anything to do with the transaction. Sue for the cost of a brand-spanking-new top-of-the-line heating & A/C system. Then, throw in, oh, $1,399,338.93 in pain and suffering! That'll do the trick!

(how's THAT for condescending? :rolleyes:)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
10K for a furnace? Did they buy Zanadu?
We were recently quoted $12,000 for a BRAND NEW install of a Heating/AC unit in a 4 bedroom house that has NO central heating/ac. And, with discounts, we could have had it down to about 9k.

Gail in Georgia

A home inspection will check to see if the heat/air conditioning work at the time of the inspection. They will not take the unit apart to check if it's hooked up properly. Did the buyers ask how old the unit was?

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">