• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Purchaser posting home inspection results online.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DrewG

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

During the inspection of a house which we were under contract to purchase we found a mold issue. We wholly paid for the inspection. Is it our right to be able to post this document online? We intend to say nothing about the document, the house, the homeowners, or their reality company, only make the document as prepared by a licensed mold inspector. Nothing in the purchase agreement makes any statements about the confidentiality or disclosure of information discovered through the inspection process. Though criminally I see no issue with this, is there a chance of a civil suit?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

During the inspection of a house which we were under contract to purchase we found a mold issue. We wholly paid for the inspection. Is it our right to be able to post this document online? We intend to say nothing about the document, the house, the homeowners, or their reality company, only make the document as prepared by a licensed mold inspector. Nothing in the purchase agreement makes any statements about the confidentiality or disclosure of information discovered through the inspection process. Though criminally I see no issue with this, is there a chance of a civil suit?
What is the point of doing this? Are you trying to get out of your contract? Was your contract contingent upon the inspection? The seller will have to disclose the mold issue to any and all future buyers if it is not remedied. Basically, what is your point in posting it?

sinombre

Is posting it online intended for discussion with others in the community to get advice regarding the inspection results? Or as an example of such an inspection report, though examples are typically posted by inspectors/inspection companies.

HomeGuru

**A: there is always a chance of a civil suit.

sinombre

**A: there is always a chance of a civil suit.
What if only exerpts of the inspection are posted, with identifiable info (inspection company, inspector, property address, etc.) removed? Like only photos and descriptions of findings?

Is that cause for suit also or that's allowable?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What if only exerpts of the inspection are posted, with identifiable info (inspection company, inspector, property address, etc.) removed? Like only photos and descriptions of findings?

Is that cause for suit also or that's allowable?
Anything can cause is a civil suit. Just because something is allowable, doesn't mean it will not result in a lawsuit. And since OP has not been back to answer any questions, I highly doubt he really cares if he can or can't.

HomeGuru

Anything can cause is a civil suit. Just because something is allowable, doesn't mean it will not result in a lawsuit. And since OP has not been back to answer any questions, I highly doubt he really cares if he can or can't.
**A: I agree. There must be some other motive.

Jimhassel

It is probably in your best interest not to post it. As there are a lot of things in an inspection report that should not be publicly disclosed. I therefore not recommend publishing this as many other items in an inspection are opinions and judgments of the inspector.

They wasted a lot of your time and money trying to peddle you a house that was infested with mold. Don't hesitate to post the report in its entirety. Offer no commentary; don't say anything that isn't true. You paid for the report and it's yours to disseminate as you see fit. They may sue you out of anger, but they will most certainly lose.

What is your intention of doing this thread? Don't mind me asking... Are you getting out of your contract?
They wasted a lot of OPs time and money to peddle a mold infested house. He's like to warn other potential buyers to stay away. Nothing wrong with that as long as he sticks to the truth.

Mass_Shyster

Was the book prepared at your direction for your use? Or was it a mass-market item protected by copyright law?
Gee, I didn't realize copyright law only applied to mass marketed items. Thanks for the heads up.

Maybe I should get a refund of the tuition I paid to Law School.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">