• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Real Estate Question related to Probate & Estate Issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

legal_novice

Texas

My mother passed away last year, and my sister and I were jointly left her house and all possessions. The wording on the will was "To my children John Doe and Mary Smith...the house and possessions....'share and share alike'...." My sister was also appointed Executor of the will. There is a probate attorney, but he seems to just be filing the probate paperwork and giving her no other advice.

My sister has stated to me that "you are NOT a co-owner"...and that 'it is the sole right of the Executor to sell the home and distribute the proceeds', and that she's just keeping me updated as a 'courtesy'. We are selling the house (no disagreement on that part). My issues are: 1) that the Will does indeed pass actual joint-ownership of the property to me, and 2) as co-owner, that my signature is required on the closing papers of the house. My concern is that she may just hand me a check and say "this is your share", and just screw me by taking out whatever fees she deems appropriate. Question: am I actual co-owner of the house, and is my signature required on both 1) the listing agreement, and 2) the closing papers? Thank you to anyone who can advise on this matter. Your speedy response really is appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">