• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seller not disclosing the loud footstep noises from upstairs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

petemt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hi,
I purchased a condo a few months ago. When I moved in the first couple of weeks, it was peacefully quiet. Now the condo of a unit right above me just got back from their long vacation, and the noises were so loud. My wife and me can't even sleep at night when the unit upstairs walk around. The footstep has never been disclosed in the disclosure package from the previous owner. Can I break the contract now? If the seller had disclose this loud footstep noise from upstairs, I would not have purchased the unit. Any advice on this issue would be really appreciated. Thanks. Peter

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is loud? What is bothersome? Those are very subjective terms. You expect a seller to disclose something that is not a legal issue and may not have been troubling to him? You are not on the top floor and hence it is normal that you could hear footsteps up above. If you didnt' want to hear footsteps you should have bought on the top floor.

CraigFL

Sometimes condos have rules as to what types of floors are acceptable to overhead units-- you need to check this out. Also, sound proofing can be installed on your ceiling by experts.

You Are Guilty

To answer your question though, you have exactly zero recourse against the seller.

As noted, you may have recourse with your HOA/the condo itself, as well as with your upstairs neighbors.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hi,
I purchased a condo a few months ago. When I moved in the first couple of weeks, it was peacefully quiet. Now the condo of a unit right above me just got back from their long vacation, and the noises were so loud. My wife and me can't even sleep at night when the unit upstairs walk around. The footstep has never been disclosed in the disclosure package from the previous owner. Can I break the contract now? If the seller had disclose this loud footstep noise from upstairs, I would not have purchased the unit. Any advice on this issue would be really appreciated. Thanks. Peter
**A: check HOA house rules and flooring IIC rating, if any.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">